Thursday, May 3, 2018

Rainbows, Norse Gods, and surgery

Carrie and I arrived in Minneapolis on Tuesday evening. As we drove south to Rochester, home of the Mayo Clinic, the skies grew dark until we eventually were in the midst of a downpour. The storm continued across the Minnesota countryside until our destination came into view and we could see a rainbow arching above the Mayo buildings in downtown Rochester. Surely that was a sign that all would go well with my surgery and that my cancer would get it's buttocks thoroughly  whooped by my world class medical team. Then a lightening bolt crackled across the rainbow above the city. Surely that was a sign that Thor, god of lightening, was prepared to smite this terrible disease. I don't know. I'm not particularly superstitious but it's nice to pretend.

Tomorrow morning I will go into the hospital around 530 am for surgery. In preparation I have had eight different appointments over the last two days including blood work, urine tests, CT scan,   urology consultation, surgical consultation, oncology consultation, and vascular surgeon consultation. There are many unknowns with the surgery. I may require some removal/reconstruction of a ureters and an artery. I will likely receive a blood transfusion. Tonight I must do some bowel prep and in case you don't know it's going to be a blast. Tomorrow when I go in there will be a couple hours of prep. The surgery itself could take around 5 hours. I will be in recovery for a couple hours before getting moved to a hospital room.

At this point the process is out of our hands and we must wait and see. So much depends on the positioning of such a small mass of cells. I will know nothing until I awake from the anesthesia. Carrie will spend a long day waiting for updates and keeping others updated. May rainbows, lightening, Thor and all of our loved ones be throwing their support behind us. I love you all and will be posting sometime soon on the other side of this surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Year: Time to Bring the Old System Back Online

Happy 2019!  In two days my intestines will be reconnected. I will hopefully be functioning somewhat like a regular person in a few short...