Sunday, May 13, 2018

The Surgery

Carrie and I awoke in the Minnesota dark at 430 am on Friday May 4th after a rough night for me of bowel prep. We gathered our belongings and made the 15 minute walk to the Methodist hospital on the cool spring morning. At the front desk I was given my inpatient hospital band and sent upstairs for the first step of surgical prep. My vitals were taken and after going through many questions a couple different times I was sent to another floor for more prep and Carrie was sent to a waiting area. In the second prep area I was given a bed and a curtain separated me from the many other patients preparing for their operations. My chest port was accessed which always involves a saline flush which can be tasted as it is injected. Another nurse came in and shaved my belly.  I was visited by one of the surgeon's resident, one of the urologist and by the anesthesiologist. Throughout it all there was a lot of small talk regarding Colorado and my family.

Eventually an operating nurse came in to wheel me away. I was taken to the largest operating room I have yet seen. It seemed to me there were at least twenty different people buzzing around the room preparing for who knows what. There was a large machine on one side of the room similar to the radiation machine I had encountered during treatment. Someone began to talk to me again about Colorado and about hiking and then a breathing mask was put over my mouth and I was out.

I awoke somewhere around 12 hours later being lifted by several people and a ceiling sling into my hospital bed. I was very out of it but reached down to my abdomen. I still had an ostomy bag right where it had been that morning. Uncertain about what was done to me I managed to get a nurse to give me a phone and called Carrie. She had gone home after a very long day of waiting and being told that I might not even really be awake that night. She didn't know much more than me but they had left my ostomy due to having to remove more of the rectal portion of my colon than expected.

The next morning my surgeon came in and I was given some clarity about the surgical proceedings. The tumor had been slightly larger than scans had shown. They took more colon than planned and decided is was best to have a year or two of monitoring before my ostomy could be taken down. The tumor did not have issues with any major arteries or veins so the vascular surgeons did not have to be involved. Unfortunately both of my left-sided ureters were involved. Large pieces had to be removed. The urologists then stretched my bladder up to meet the remaining ureters. A small piece of small intestine was also removed. The surgeon was confident that all cancer was removed.

The surgeon did give me a piece of information that I am still chewing on. He told me that there was an area of blood vessels (the area that had been my positive margin after the first surgery) that should have been removed during my first surgery. He said it was a fairly standard part of the procedure and didn't understand why it was not done at the time.

I have much more to write about my hospitalization and recovery which I'm still in the midst of. Things still aren't functioning normally and I had a few rough days mentally and physically in the hospital. I will document all of that in the near future but for now will leave you with this. I received my pathology report last week before leaving the hospital. All margins negative for cancer. Urerters negative for cancer. Small bowel negative for cancer. To the best of my current knowledge I am negative for cancer.

1 comment:

A New Year: Time to Bring the Old System Back Online

Happy 2019!  In two days my intestines will be reconnected. I will hopefully be functioning somewhat like a regular person in a few short...