Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Post Surgery Scan

I have been avoiding doing another blog post until I had good news. Now I am happy to report that my first post treatment/surgery scan and blood work has come back with no evidence of cancer. During the past few weeks I have felt better than I have in a year and a half. I am running again and have resumed a mostly normal life of work and family. 

After my last post, I struggled until around mid-June with urinary tract infections brought on by the catheter I had in until 5/29 and the uretal stents I had in until 6/20. Originally I was given an ineffective antibiotic before being switched to something stronger. Once the stents came out I felt an almost immediate relief and return of energy. I then peed all over my procedure chair which was also relieving. Ever since I've had a daily internal debate about what I hate more; the NG tube insertion I had in the hospital or the cystoscopy with the stent removal (look these up on youtube if you are unfamiliar). I think I've decided but won't say. I don't want to influence anyone's opinion. 

There are still of course concerns. My oncologist says he will watch me like a hawk this first year or two since that is when recurrence is mostly likely to occur. The scan also showed some abnormalities related to the surgery. There are still some abormalities in my urinary tract. The right side the system is showing some hydronephrosis. The left side is showing diffuse hydroureteronephrosis. Yeah I know, fun medical terms! My understanding is that these involves the backing up of fluid. The fact that my right side is involved is interesting since that side was not involved with my cancer but I have noticed a little pain there this past week when using the restroom. However, my oncologists thinks this may be a result of the bladder being reshaped during surgery. He will consult with my urologist but I am already scheduled to have renal study in September. During this they will basically image my urinary tract and determine how it is flowing. 

I also have some pockets of fluid in my abdomen that may resolve themselves but my surgeon at Mayo is going to be consulted regarding this. Nothing may come of either of these issues and the issues may mend on their own but we will keep an eye on them. Finally, my oncologist seemed to really think after a year of being cancer free I should push to have my ostomy taken down. I would likely return to the surgeon at Mayo for that surgery. 

As long as I am feeling healthy I will likely post less on this blog. If you don't here anything for awhile it is likely good or maybe the hydroureteronephrosis took me down. It is a condition with a lot of letters after all. I will post again in a couple months, after I have my next round of bloodwork and scans. Once again I can't thank everyone enough for you love and support. Thanks so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Year: Time to Bring the Old System Back Online

Happy 2019!  In two days my intestines will be reconnected. I will hopefully be functioning somewhat like a regular person in a few short...