Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The state of my cancer and more importantly my #1 and #2 situation

Today marks twelve days since my cytoreductive surgery. I followed up with my surgeon this morning. We were informed that my pathology report was cancer free besides the tumor we already know about. There were no positive lymph nodes or evidence of cells elsewhere. This is certainly good news but I think we are, understandably, feeling cautious. and will look forward to the next scan and blood work in December. The surgeon referred to my cancer as Stage IV which I don't like but makes sense with this latest metastasis. It's just a label and doesn't change anything. My oncologist has so far been a beacon of positivity and refuses to put a number on my chances. He very much still believes this is curative. 

At my last appointment with my urologist in September, he had given me the all clear and lamented that he never really got to do any surgical work on me. Well lady luck was on his side. The previous bladder "stretching' during the Mayo surgery had apparently caused some damage to my right ureter which was previously unaffected. The urologist had to remove some of this ureter during the latest surgery. Due to this I again have a foley catheter for a few weeks. So far this hasn't been quite as uncomfortable as my previous catheter. I have been getting spasms again which result from my bladder trying to expel the balloon-like equipment that sits in there now.

I am also learning to deal with my illeostomy. They reattached my colon to my rectum and that portion of my plumbing is getting a couple months off. I have to pay more attention to what I eat now. The illeostomy is a lot more active and dehydration and blockages can be a concern. It's not terrible but I'm thankful to not have it forever.

So in December or January I will get my illeostomy taken down and have an almost fully functioning digestive system. The surgery itself should be smaller than the previous but it will come with it's own challenges. It can take several months before folks feel comfortable enough to stray far from the bathroom. My supply bag of ostomy and catheter supplies may be replaced by adult diapers for awhile. There is a common saying 'no parent should outlive their child'. I'm officially changing it to 'no child should experience adult diapers before their parents".  Anyone know a good local eco-friendly cloth adult diaper service?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Year: Time to Bring the Old System Back Online

Happy 2019!  In two days my intestines will be reconnected. I will hopefully be functioning somewhat like a regular person in a few short...