Friday, August 11, 2017

Round 6

I am now halfway through my chemo treatments. It feels good but six more rounds seems like a lot.

Round 5 was almost a walk in the park. At the insistence of doctors and nurses I stayed on top of my anti-nausea meds and it worked. I had minimal issues other than the usual first few days of fatigue. Towards the end of the round my teeth and gums began to hurt. I also had a couple days of upper back pain. Those things may not be related to treatment but I question everything I feel nowadays. I did have high liver function at the start of Round 5 but luckily those numbers dropped after a week.

At the start of Round 6 my liver function was good but my platelets are dropping. This is normal for chemo but if they got too low I would need a blood transfusion. Low platelets means my blood won't clot quickly and I could bruise easier. Guess my knife juggling days are on hold for now. I am also now on an iron supplement to try and help the anemia I have had since before surgery. My anemic numbers are what sent me to the emergency room when this all started but they have not improved since.  Next week I get my first ever full colonoscopy. Got to make sure the rest of my colon is clean as a whistle. Cross your fingers. To counter balance all the not so fun medical firsts I have experienced this year I have scheduled myself for some acupuncture in a few weeks. Might as well get a positive first this year.

Finally, thanks again to all that have continued to support us throughout the ordeal. Joni is out running this weekend to raise more funds to help us out. School starts in a couple weeks and life will be getting busier so I may be reaching out for some company at chemo or perhaps some prepared meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A New Year: Time to Bring the Old System Back Online

Happy 2019!  In two days my intestines will be reconnected. I will hopefully be functioning somewhat like a regular person in a few short...